Est In 1928
The Land & Course Designers
The land on which Blythefield Country Club stands was originally inhabited by the Muscatay and Hopewell Indians. The George Miller family was the first group of settlers on what is now Blythefield property. They farmed the land that is now the golf course and built a log cabin near the present clubhouse.
In 1920, financier Joseph Brewer bought most of the land known as Plainfield Village to create a country estate. Mr. Brewer built a country villa on the bluffs east of Northland Drive overlooking the river and built Blythefield Country Club across the road from his villa. The word “Blythefield” is derived from Old English and means quiet fields.
Blythefield’s time-tested golf course was a design of William B. Langford (1887-1977) and Theodore J. Moreau (1890-1942).
The formal opening of Blythefield on June 14, 1929, was highlighted by the attendance of many golf celebrities. In the dedication foursome were legend Walter Hagen, the first Masters Tournament winner Horton Smith, celebrated local golfer Morey Wells, and Blythefield’s first golf professional, Nick Webber. One of the caddies that day, Marvin Stahl, went on to become a Blythefield Country Club Golf Professional, club member, a member of the Board of Directors, the Club’s President and a celebrated “teacher to the stars,” including crooner Bing Crosby.
Blythefield has hosted three Western Golf Association major tournaments – the 1953 Western Amateur, the 1961 Western Open, and the 2005 Western Junior. The course has also been the site of countless other United States Golf Association, Michigan PGA and Golf Association of Michigan events and national qualifiers The three major WGA events were won by Dale Morey, Arnold Palmer, and Rickie Fowler, respectively.
Blythefield is also the home of the Meijer LPGA Classic and has crowned players Mirim Lee from South Korea (2014), USA’s Lexi Thompson (2015) Kim Sei-Young from South Korea (2016), Brooke Henderson (2017) and So Yeon Ryu (2018).